Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Berenguier <Eric.Berenguier@sycomore.fr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Floppy drive problem: crash the computer !

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Eric Berenguier wrote:

> >Ouch.  Have you checked your floppy drive cable, drive, and controller?
> >Wow, it must be nasty if it panics the system.  :(
> >
> I forgot to say the controller card was vesa local bus.
> I've tried another controller card (isa) and it worked fine
>
> are there any known problem with vlb cards ?
> is there a patch to solve the problem ?
> it's obviously a software problem, because it works fine with msdos.

Not exactly.  FreeBSD twists your hardware in ways that MS-DOS would
never, and can uncover hidden bugs in firmware.  If an ISA card works fine
then I would try to find a different VLB card.  Avoid the Promise brand
cards, they aren't 100% compatible.

Also double-check your IRQ assignments and make sure no two things are
using the same IRQ.