Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:51:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tony Tye <tye@icubed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alternate booting methods

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Tony Tye wrote:

> I'm preparing to install FreeBSD on a Compaq 120 MHz (Intel processor). I
> would prefer not to make any changes to my Master Boot Record right now, if
> I can avoid it.
>
> Does FreeBSD have an alternate method of booting, comparable to Linux's
> Loadlin, for example? Or can it be booted directly from a floppy, without
> touching the MBR?

You can set up a boot floppy to automatically start your kernel on the
hard drive; I do this for my workstation (with an overgrown disk).  Once
you image the boot disk, there's a few sectors leftover.  Mount the boot
floppy and make /boot.config with

wd(0,a)/kernel

or whatever your boot string is.  Unmount the disk and you should be good
to go next boot.

> Also, if there is an alternate boot method, can it handle a FreeBSD
> installation above the 1024th cylinder? I have an old BIOS which does not
> recognize large hard drives, and it would be easier to install at the end of
> a drive.

This is a BIOS limitation, and it can't be gotten around, sorry.

Doug White