Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:19:18 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        talon <talon@datastorm.kicks-ass.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pw add?

talon wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Would someone here be able to tell me how to add
> a user to a group using the pw command.
>
> eg I would like to add myself to the operator group

pw usermod username -G operator

Should do the trick

> Do I have to hand edit the /etc/group file ?

You can.  The /etc/group file is human readable, and requires
no magic when you're done (i.e. it doesn't need compiled or
rehashed or anything) so it's pretty easy to edit group
memberships that way.  I'm sure the pw command is the
preferred method, however.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies