Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:45:35 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <edgewise@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation--AMD Duron

> What do I have to do to install FreeBSD(4.0) on my AMD Duron 800 in
MS-6378 motherboard
> machine?--Loops rebooting on "Syncing disks...11111111111111111111"
"giving up on 1 buffers."

I had this problem too. Posted questions to the list at the time and no-one
seemed to be able to offer any help, however downloading and installing 4.3
instead of 4.0 (actually I was trying 4.1) worked fine.

I think there may have been a problem with a certain IDE chipset (VIA686B,
if i remember correctly) in the ATA driver, that was fixed at some point
between 4.1 and 4.3, although I don't know where.

So, your basic answer is you can't install FreeBSD 4.0 on that motherboard,
at least not without any degree of stability. Get hold of the latest
version and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps...

Mark