Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:28:45 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   booting from primary wd on wdc1

I've been trying to install freeBSD at home for some time now. I have
OS/2 on the primary drive on the 1st hard disk controller. The second
disk is on the second controller, and has a 50M DOS partition (for
games) and 350M for FBSD.

When I install from floppy all goes well. I select wd2 for the
install, then I build a new kernel from the shell on F4.

At boot time it claims it's booting from wd1a, yet at the drive
detection time it finds the drive & calls it wd2. Then panics when it
can't mount root.

I have tried putting "root on wd1", and on wd2 in the new kernel.
The /etc/fstab entries all point to slices on wd2.

I'm using the default boot manager, I can't remember its name. It has
the F1  F5 style options.

Any ideas?

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS.
ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432