Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:37:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        steve@gordian.com (Steve Khoo)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT(sup'd 4/24/96) and XFree86 3.1.2D problem

> Has anyone seen this problem?  I'm sending this to freebsd-current
> because I'm not sure if it's a XFree problem or FreeBSD problem.
> Please forgive me if it doesn't belong on this list.

> VIDEO CARD:
>
>     MODEL:
>
>     Diamond Stealth Video 2001
>
>     GRAPHICS CHIPSET:
>
>     S3 Trio64V+
>
>     RAMDAC:
>
>     Trio64V+ builtin RAMDAC
>
>     CLOCKCHIP:
>
>     Trio64V+ builtin clockchip
>
>     VIDEO MEMORY:
>
>     2MB DRAM
>
>     BUS TYPE:
>
>     PCI
>
> REPORT:
>
> System lockup at xserver startup with 32MB of RAM; not just a video
> display problem.  The entire system hangs with no network, disk or
> keyboard activity.  If RAM is reduced to 16MB all is well.

How frigging bizarre!

We have several of these video cards (version number 67) that
exhibit these same symptoms when used with WINICE in Windows95.

If you reduce the system ram to 16M, or if you replace the thing with
a version number 89 of the card firmware, the problem goes away.

We can get it to lock up after a while pounding on the mode switch
registers (in-and-out-and-in-and-out... of WINICE) in 16M.  The
v89 card doesn't lock up at all.

This is on Micron P166 systems.

I've been looking for "bus on time" settings, on the thoury that
DRAM refresh is being missed when the card grabs the PCI bus, but
haven't found anything useful.  We're waiting on rev 89 cards now.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.