Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:35:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network trickles ......

Hello Family,
	In using a removable hard drive rack I removed my OpenBSD
hard drive, installed a new drive and loaded FreeBSD-3.4 and 4.0 and
the network setup reduced to just a feeble connection, pings take 5
seconds if I'm lucky just to return a response from machines on my
local net, there is barely a return on the net.

	I immediately re-installed the OpenBSD-2.7 drive, and
another Linux drive running SuSE and got over 850-kbps as usual
from the ADSL connection here at home. I also ran the FreeBSD box
directly to the ADSL modem in place of my firewall with the
firewall's IP address and the same results.

	I used `/stand/sysinstall` and the networking option from
there and I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing some OPTIONS to add in
that menu, or maybe the wrong module is being used for the Netgear
FX-310TX card which uses the tulip driver in Linux and just SMOKES
even faster in OpenBSD.

	I'm stuck and had to reinstall the OpenBSD drive as you can
tell from my email headers,  any help or pointers are
appreciated. The "FreeBSD Handbook " [Advanced Networking Book]
shows nothing in the advanced troubleshooting section also, that was
another investment I'm sure will help me later on other topics but
not so in this problem.

--
Bill Schoolcraft           http://wiliweld.com
PO Box 210076	        San Francisco, CA 94121

       " saevis tranquillus in undis "