Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 03:27:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cisco VPN client for Linux under FreeBSD? Or compatible client?

 --- Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com> wrote: >
> smacked into the keyboard previously by
> owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
>  >Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:10:15 +1100 (EST)
>  >From: Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
>  >To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>  >Subject: cisco VPN client for Linux under FreeBSD?
> Or compatible client?
>  >
>  >One of our clients has moved to a Cisco VPN
> solution
>  >and they have it configured (at the server end)
>  >whereby when the VPN connection is made traffic on
> the
>  >local network is stopped.  I'm using this as an
>  >opportunity to deploy PXE based diskless booting
>  >Freebsd clients.  I'd like to get the VPN software
>  >working under FreeBSD if possible.
>  >I'm hoping someone has some info on this.
>  >Here's the details of the (windows based) client
> that
>  >I'm currently using.
>  >
>  >Encryption - 168 bit triple DES
>  >Authentication - HMAC-MD5
>  >
>  >Alternatively is there a FreeBSD VPN client that
> will
>  >work against the VPN server when these settings
> area
>  >requirement?  I'm not sure exactly what type of
> VPN
>  >server it is but I can find out early next week if
>  >need be.
>  >Thanks,
>  >Paul
>  >
>  >

> As far as I know, there are no VPN clients for Cisco
> VPN concentrators.
> However racoon (in ports) is possibly your next best
> viable alternative
> for VPN access with FreeBSD.
>
> And I'd be very interested if someone knows more,
> too.
>
> Scott Nolde
> GPG Key 0xD869AB48

Thanks for your reply Scott.  I've had a look at some
info on Racoon over at the KAME pages.  It seems to
support 3DES as an encryption algorithm and HMAC-MD5
as and authentication algorithm.  Has anyonbe played
with Racoon on Cisco VPN concentrators before?

I've sent an email to ciso tech support requesting
some info so hopefully I'll hear something useful.

Paul

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!