Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:45:53 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez_i_Querol?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to resume amd64 machine

On 03/07/2012 04:38, matt wrote:
> On 06/26/12 04:18, Gustau Pérez i Querol wrote:
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>   it seems there was some problem when I posted this one. Sorry if it
>> shows two times in the mailing list.
>>
>>   I've trying to suspend/resume an amd64 machine. The machine is a
>> fujitsu S710 laptop running:
>>
>>          FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #4 r237339=e61ad3a-dirty: Sat Jun 23
>> 17:12:58 CEST 2012
>>
>>   I did the tests in the following conditions:
>>
>>   - No X loaded. Everything in console. The machine has an Intel
>> video card, but the i915kms wasn't there.
>>   - When removing modules, I tried in single user mode.
>>
>>   The behavior is basically the machine seems to suspend fine (I see
>> the power led blinking) but when resuming it freezes hard. I see the
>> disk spinning for a while and then it stops. I can't ssh to it, I
>> can't use the keyboard at all so I can issue no command at all.
>>
>>   I've tried stripping down the kernel (everything is out except
>> if_ath, em and usb stack). No pccard, no sdhci, no sound, no
>> cuse4bsd, no usb hid devices (I'm using uhidd for hid devices), no
>> acpi_video or acpi_fujitsu there but the same result.
>>
>>   I tried enabling debug.acpi.resume_beep=1. When doing this, the
>> laptop beeped like crazy.
>>
>>   With sysctl debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1, the suspend put the screen
>> blank, however the machine stayed alive.
>>
>>   With acpi.reset_video I got no result.
>>
>>   I tried using the serial console on the laptop. I saw the suspend
>> process taking down some usb devices. Resume showed nothing on the
>> serial console.
>>
>>   Disabling devices in the BIOS (removing wifi, bluetooth, webcam,
>> etc ...) didn't bring me further.
>>
>>   Thanks
>>

> This could be similar to thinkpads, see my response to Honest Qiao's
> X201...
> Here's the short version:
>
> In single user, set hw.pci.do_power_resume=0 and
> hw.pci.do_power_suspend=0
>
> Try suspend bounce (and if successful suspend) with suspend beep
> sysctl on.
>
> If that fails (either bounce or full suspend) try just
> hw.pci.do_power_resume=1
>
> repeat test (bounce then full suspend)
>
> If that fails (either bounc or full suspend) try just
> hw.pci.do_power_suspend=1
>
> repeat test (bounce then full suspend)

    It'll give it a try.

> I recommend testing laptop with SSH or some other screenless way of
> seeing if it resumed, as onboard graphics can be tricky these days.

    Well, I even tried with serial console to avoid problems with
if_em/if_ath.

    Thanks for your suggestions,

    Gus

> Matt

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Departament d'Enginyeria Telemàtica
O O O Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3
       08034 - Barcelona