Date:      27 Apr 2004 19:59:38 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-current-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI bus power problems (can't turn it off)

--=-=-=

I have
set hw.pci.do_powerstate=0
in my loader.conf, but the power state code is keeping my system from
recognizing my PC cards anyway.

The dmesg output in this state is attached.

--=-=-=

Latest

   I've got my Omnibook running -CURRENT, by booting from floppies, and
   then copying the install kernel over from the floppies after the
   install was complete. The AGP problems are definitely a bug in the
   laptop, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that.
   ACPI isn't working, either, but that's common for older laptops.

  introduction

   The most basic problem I'm seeing is that the agp device keeps the
   thing from booting. agp is now in the GENERIC kernels, so that's a
   real problem. I've bootstrapped the system up from an earlier release
   (4.6.2), so it's running okay now, but I'm still working on figuring
   out the AGP problem.

  What actually happens?

   pcib0: port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
   pci0: on pcib0
   agp0: mem 0-0x3ffffff at device 0.0 on pci

   and it locks up there for good.

  hardware

   This is an [1]HP Omnibook XE2 and its revision is what HP calls "dd".
   [Sorry; actually HP calls that a "technology code."]

  Kernel debugging

   I'm having problems with debugging the kernel on this. It has to be
   done from boot, because the agp functionality can't be loaded later
   (according to the documentation, anyway; I haven't tried it). When I
   do try, the kernel debugger can't seem to find any symbols. What I did
   to get there was:
    1. add "options DDB" to the kernel configuration
    2. "config -g <configuration>"
    3. interrupt the loader, "unload kernel", load the debug kernel in
       its place, and "boot -d"
    4. at the "DB>" prompt, type "b agp_find_caps" (and get a
       symbol-not-known error for my trouble)

   Late addition(30/Apr) I've got what seems to be a good debugging
   kernel, but I get the "DB>" prompt repeating endlessly (as if the
   return key were being hit continuously).

   last modified: 8:33pm, Wednesday, 11 Feb 2004 by Lowell Gilbert.