Date:      Fri, 30 May 2014 10:25:25 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirroring pkg.freebsd.org?

--g6i2i9p7nsIjr9bwnJ8BkxulJGqc2Xd98

On 05/29/14 19:54, Rick Miller wrote:
> I found a message in the archives[1] from march 2014 that mentions opti=
ons
> for mirroring pkg.freebsd.org were being experimented with.  It goes on=
> say a communique would be issued "soon" on a viable way to accomplish t=
his.
>  I'm wondering how far off this might be?
>=20
> [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2014-March/000253.ht=
ml

As far as I know, there are no official pkg mirrors in Asia.  Currently
there are 4: US East (NYI), US West (ISC), Europe (UK) and Russia.

There is, in general, no provision for people to create private mirrors
of package repositories.  In fact, I believe the general policy is now
against that sort of thing.  Partly this is down to technological change
-- computer hardware capability is so much greater today, and
high-bandwidth connectivity with access to the whole world is that much
more prevalent, so a smaller number of servers is sufficient. Mostly
it's due to security concerns.  It would be too easy for someone to
trojan a package in a semi-official repository that the FreeBSD project
has no real control over.  Yes, there are measures including package
signing to mitigate against this, but we can't enforce their use by
end-users.

On the other hand, pkg.freebsd.org just uses plain HTTP for network
communications and it's quite friendly towards being accessed through a
proxy-cache setup.

	Cheers,

	Matthew