Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Arley Carter <arc@twinds.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some strange things with ahc

The problem is solved. It was the cable length.  I installed a second card
for the external cable and the problem went away.

An interesting fact I discovered on the way to the solution is the order
devices are probed during boot.  The second card which was in slot 1 was
probed first. This card had only a DAT tape attached to it. The card in
slot 0 with all of the disk drives was probed second.

The machine failed to boot because it didn't find a boot disk at id0 on
the card in slot 1. Switch the cables so the disks are on card on slot 1
and it booted.  I suppose its is easier or more efficient to write the boot
code to walk down the bus, find the SCSI card in highest slot and mark
that as the boot card and work back from there. This is just a guess
though. Just out of idle curiosity if there is a reason it works this way
I'd interested in knowing.  Of course the answer could be, "I doesn't
matter, I just wrote the code that way." :-) .

This instance is for an Intel 810e board and Adaptec 2940 Ultra
controllers.

Cheers:
-arc

Arley Carter				arc@twinds.com
Tradewinds Technologies, Inc.		www.twinds.com
Winston-Salem, NC  USA			Network Engineering & Security