Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:12:31 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Don't upgrade your Alphas!

Thus spake Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>:
> Hold off upgrading your Alphas for a moment.
> Something broke libc recently that results in
> (at least) floating point exceptions from
> awk(1) (this is not related to today's awk
> upgrade).
>
> I've been able to reproduce this on beast.freebsd.org
> by building the fresh libc.a and linking awk with
> it, and running a test case.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce this with 8th
> March libc, so the time window for the breakage
> is low.
>
> I suspect the recent gtdoa commit to libc; we
> will know that is less than an hour.

Whups.  You're probably using a locale in which the decimal point
is not a period.  In that case, please use the patches I just
posted to the following thread, which I just CC'd you.

If it really is an Alpha issue and not a locale issue, awk is
probably dying on one of the scripts used by the kernel build.
If you could send me the command line that causes awk to die,
that would be helpful.  I'm running a kernel build on beast
right now to see if I can reproduce a problem.  I have a meeting
in a few minutes, but I'll be back in five hours or so to follow
up on this.