Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 12:37:57 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Let's make the packages/ dir look clean!

> My suggestion is that package names should be the format

This sounds good to me, though I might ask whether or not it would also
pay dividends if we were to seize this opportunity to CATAGORIZE the
packages at the same time.  We should come up with a <pkgdir>/<catagory>
scheme where the packages are dumped according to where they came from
in the ports hierarchy.  Using a LINKS type of scheme, it should also
be possible for a package to link itself into multiple catagories
and thus provide a de-facto "ueberpackage" scheme like Paul T. was
talking about - my installation program can just get the top level
directory names (some of which will represent ports catagories and
some which won't) and show the various packages within it as the
contents of the ueberpackage.

Comments?

						Jordan