Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:55:58 -0800
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Last round of sendmail startup changes in place

BTW, not that this is particularly related to startup scripts, but -- I
found it quite frustrating that due to a transient failure at submission
time, my mail went into /var/spool/clientmqueue, for which you have to
use "mailq -Ac", which is pretty much completely undocumented.  It
turned out OK because there was actually a daemon there whose job it
was to process that queue, but from a user experience point of view,
sending mail, having it talk about a transient failure and that it
was queued, and then not having that message show up in "mailq" was
fairly astonishing (and stress-inducing until I found the "other"
queue).

Anyway, that was really a long way of saying: should this be documented
somewhere?  Like, prominently in the mailq man page?

And, addressing the initial failure itself: apparently I need to add
O ResolverOptions=WorkAroundBrokenAAAA and my masquerading options
to submit.cf; are there any plans to add per-host submit.mc handling
(i.e. a SENDMAIL_MC equivalent) to /etc/mail/Makefile?  Is there any
general advice on what MC stuff goes where at this point (e.g. does
the masquerading stuff only go in submit.cf, or should it also be in
sendmail.cf, etc.)

Thanks,
  Bill