Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:33:45 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dscheidt@enteract.com, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

At 05:39 PM 12/13/1999 , Terry Lambert wrote:

>I will let you in on a "secret": SCSI drives cost more because
>that's what the market will bear, based on their performance
>characteristics relative to IDE.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the price/performance
ratio of UltraSCSI is anywhere near that of Ultra-66 ATAPI.

>They cost the same to manufacture; it doesn't matter what mask
>you use to burn your 1 square inch ASIC.

Which is the problem. You're being charged a premium for hardware
that's very similar, due to lower volume. And SCSI has higher command
latency than IDE. SCSI drives usually make up for this with tagged
command queueing, hidden elevator seeking, and larger on-drive
caches. Sometimes this is a clear win, but sometimes it is not.

The ideal thing would be a hybrid: a drive which supported the
full SCSI command repertoire but didn't have the overhead of
selection, arbitration, bus settling time, signal deskewing,
etc.

I would do this by making the one drive per ATAPI cable act like
a SCSI device that was always selected, eliminating the bus
selection phase altogether. The interface would be cheaper,
because straight TTL is much less expensive than the terminators
and transceivers needed for SCSI. It'd be more energy-efficient,
too. And it'd have a higher peak transfer rate, because SCSI is
limited by having to handle the more varied transmission line
characteristics that come from an 8-foot or 16-foot cable with
multiple irregularly spaced taps.

The "SCATAPI" drives would use a 1 meter cable -- ALWAYS 1 meter,
even if you could get away with less. Fold it up neatly
if it's too long. No taps, 28 AWG conductors, controlled impedance,
and twists in the signal lines all the way. Peak speed ought to
reach 132 MBps easily. This just happens to be the capacity of
32-bit PCI. A later generation could move up to AGP speeds and
run off the motherboard chipset's AGP circuitry. CAM would work
with no modification.

--Brett