Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 21:15:27 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, batie@agora.rdrop.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

[moved to -chat]

 >> Also, you can't *run* a system off of a tar image (whereas you
 >> *could* mount a tape filesystem and execute whatever is on the
 >> tape!)
 > Uh... I would have to insist on copying the entire image into core
 > for that one.  8-).
 > 1: "What's your tape drive doing?"
 > 2: "Paging from an executable image..."

What, and you didn't do this as a torture test (for you, not your h/w)
after reading the Hacker's Purity Test?  :-)

  Have you ever used a swap device:
    a. A hard disk?
    b. A floppy disk?
    c. A drum?
    d. Magnetic tape?
    e. Punched cards?

Now that I think about it, what's some of the more
believable/inventive y'all have come up with as explainations for
'/dev/drum'?  How about other absurd computer folk tales?  (I'm
looking for things like convincing a user that /dev/null has just
jumped the spindle, not whales exploding or mouse ball documents.)

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

The number you have reached is an imaginary number.
Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again.