Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:08:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: character-set information for terminals.

In reply:
> Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org> stands accused of saying:
>
> > > Also from "man setlocale"... 8-).
> >
> >   BAH! I missed the reference to a man page. Please hand me a tiny pointy
> > hat.
>
>   Only problem is that the locale doesn't provide me with the information I
> need. :(

I've always seen this as implimentation dependant...  You can never
assume that a terminal is initialized to a known state, and thus you
should be able to know everything your program does to initialize it.
I can check my VT420 manual at home, but I don't think that you can
obtain a terminal-independant way of doing what you want to do.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or