Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:57:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Export controlled ports

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> The Electronic Privacy Information Center surveyed national governments
> about their laws and policies on cryptography.  They found that a few
> countries have restrictions on the importation or use of cryptographic
> software, and that some enforce these restrictions.  Keeping the crypto
> stuff separate would be a convenience for FreeBSD users (if there are any)
> in such places.

How do you know that FreeBSD users would want this?  Have you asked any?

Trevor asked me to start a separate non-crypto version of the ctm lists,
and I asked him that; never did get an answer, but I did find out that he
said he wouldn't be interested in such a feed for himself.

Trevor, if FreeBSD users don't ask for it, then it's not going to get
done.  I think the first task for you is to prove that folks want it, not
that there are a few governments who would want to dictate to us.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.