Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:00:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        entropy@compufit.at (Alexander Sanda)
Cc:        wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8

> > Anybody here useing gcc 2.8 to compile world and/or kernel?
>
> gcc-2.8.1 has some problems with current kernel source (as of last
> weekend).
>
> However, I have installed gcc-2.8.1 from the packages collection, and I
> have the vague feeling, that this compiler has some problems. I
> compiled one of my kde apps, using -O2 and -mpentiumpro and the app
> started to segfault occasionally. Since I recompiled with gcc-2.7.2.1,
> it never segfaulted again...

Be aware that using DESTDIR at all will result in your compiler getting
the gcc 2.7.2 rather than the 2.8.1 headers and libgcc.a.  FreeBSD
(incorrectly) overrides these values in the .mk files (see the files
/usr/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk and /usr/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk for details).

So it is at least unsuitable for building the world (without you
hacking these files) and probably unsuitable for building ports
in the context of a build hierarchy.

> Once a while ago, I did some experiments with compiling the Linux kernel
> using different compilers (stock gcc-2.7, egcs, pgcc) and benchmarking
> them with lmbench or byte. The results: They all ranged within
> measurement tolerance, imho. Even if you run lmbench twice on the same
> system, the results will slightly differ.

Now try the very old (and small) gcc 1.x that we used to use.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.