Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:52:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        doka@vl.kharkov.ua
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is unDES possible?

On 22 Sep 1997 doka@vl.kharkov.ua wrote:

> Hello!
>
>  I was installed DES support in FreeBSD. As I understand, installing DES
> affects only in password encoding, isn't it?

I think it modifies crypt() too.

> Now I want using MD5 for password
> encryption. Can I restore MD5? If so, how can I do this?

Copy the crypt libs back out of the binary distribution for your release.

Anyone who changed their password will *break* however, since the
des-ified crypt libs know MD5 but not vice-versa.  Also some network utils
(like NIS) require DES encryption for proper communication with other
servers.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo