Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:17:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Filla <jfilla@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Disklabel say my disk is amnesiac. How can I fix this safely?

Necessary info: 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD
4x20GB drives on two Promise controllers: ad4, ad6,
ad8, ad10.

Now my issue.
I have these 4 20GB drives in a RAID 10 Vinum
configuration. (40GB total usable drive space). Of the
40GB total, I still have about 15GB unused. I want to
create some partitions and ultimately make this free
space usable with vinum.
The problem I have is that I discovered that my
disklabel for ad4 and ad6 isn't the same as disklabel
-r for these drives. In particular I have 'amnesiac'
disks. Here is disklabel for ad4:
su-2.03# disklabel ad4
# /dev/ad4:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
8 partitions:
#        size  offset    fstype  [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 40088160        0    unused        0    0
# (Cyl.    0 - 63631)
Now here is the disklabel -r for ad4:
su-2.03# disklabel -r ad4
# /dev/ad4:
type: ESDI
disk: ad4s1
label:
#        size  offset    fstype  [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  253952        0    4.2BSD        0    0    0  #
(Cyl.    0 - 403*)
  c: 40088160        0    unused        0    0
# (Cyl.    0 - 63631)
  e: 23552000  253952    vinum
# (Cyl.  403*- 37787*)

Ad6 is similar.

This may sound silly, but how serious is having an
amnesiac disk? I've been running this machine for
months. Have I been skating on thin ice and not
knowing it? How can I fix it without doing any damage
to my installation. The manpage talks about writing a
disklable as clobbering my existing drives. Say it
ain't so. Thanks for the help.