Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@knock.econ.vt.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   "can't load kernel" after build/install world/kernel

I seem to have shot myself in the foot.  I ran cvsup, buildworld,
installworld, buildkernel, and installkernel yesterday on my laptop as
well as my desktop.  The laptop will no longer boot FreeBSD; the
desktop is fine.  The laptop shows:

   F1   DOS
   F2   FreeBSD

   Default: F2

   BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
   Console: internal video/keryboard
   BIOS drive A: is disk0
   BIOS drive C: is disk1
   BIOS 639kB/64448kB available memory

   FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
   (root@clifden.econ.vt.edu, Mon Jul 24 14.53.22 EDT 2000)

   Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key ofr command prompt.
   Booting [kernel]...
   can't load 'kernel'
   can't load 'kernel.old'

   ok ls
   open '/' failed: no such file or directory
   ok lsdev
   disk @0x10738
   disk0: BIOS drive A
   disk1: BIOS drive C
   pxe @ 0xe4dc

The machine boots up in W95.

The machine was running 4.0-Stable from a few weeks ago.

I have a script which runs the sequence of build/install steps; the
script on the laptop stopped because the laptop was running under a
different machine name than usual and so the script did not find the
kernel config file.  I ran buildkernel and installkernel by hand for
my kernel config file and for GENERIC.  I believe I followed the
UPDATING instructions (but something's not working, so I probably
missed something).

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Russ Murphy