Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2015 17:21:47 -0400
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to a Partition problems.

On 04/25/15 17:02, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> I would like to thank the numerous people that responded to
> my question, they answered various questions, but not the
> one I asked,
>
> NAMELY
>
> How do I get FreeBSD to install to the 2nd partition of a
> MBR partitioned disk.  The first partition has PCBSD on
> it if this is a complication.
>
> I see nowhere where I can choose a partition (ok slice), and
> the Installer always shows me that it it going to overwrite
> my partiation/slice 1.

I have dual-boot setup like you are looking for, except I installed
FreeBSD 10.0 on an unused portion of a disk that contains an
OEM-installed Windows Vista OS.

I followed this thread:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/simple-dual-boot-windows-and-freebsd-9-under-mbr.28925/

I recall (this was about a year ago and the system is still up and
running perfectly) having some issues parsing the language of the
instructions; I had to discard some of my Linux concepts of definitions
and be strict in understanding how FreeBSD defines things somewhat
differently, but the install instructions worked for me.