Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:49:29 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

* Anthony Atkielski (anthony@freebie.atkielski.com) [020403 20:30]:
> William writes:
>
> > The "premier support manager" manages a team
> > of "Technical Account Managers".
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> > These TAM's are the people that you actually
> > talk to about your "Premier" support problems.
>
> They provide the sales and logistic interface for Premier contracts; but
> they don't actually provide technical support themselves (although they are
> almost invariably qualified to do so, as they tend to be hired from the
> ranks of regular technical support technicians).
>
> > If you look at the job requirements for the
> > Technical Account Manager on the same page,
> > there is no mention of a need for any sort
> > of university degree.  That means high-school (or
> > a GED or perhaps nothing at all) is good enough.
>
> Correct.  Microsoft has never been very interested in credentials; the
> company tests prospective employees carefully with some thinly disguised IQ
> tests, and uses intelligence as a key hiring criterion.  Smart people are
> hired; stupid people are not.  And degrees and diplomas are largely ignored.
>
> > So hopefully you'll understand that I find
> > your claims difficult to believe.
>
> The problems you experienced are not due to any lack of qualification on the
> part of technical-support personnel; they are due to a total lack of
> internal documentation for the products being supported.  Technical support
> at Microsoft, as at many other software vendors, is based on a
> trial-and-error, shotgun approach to problem identification and resolution,
> because none of Microsoft's products has ever been adequately documented,
> even internally, and so nobody really knows how they work except the
> developers, and even the developers know very little beyond the modules they
> personally maintain.
>
> In other words, technical support fails because it is not given the
> information to do the job, not because the technical-support people lack any
> qualifications.  Unfortunately, this sort of situation is not at all unique
> to Microsoft; it is the norm, rather than the exception, in IT.
>
> > On FreeBSD on the other hand, I've found little
> > nitpicky bugs here and there, and generally had
> > prompt resolution once I actually got someone
> > to look at the PR. *wink wink*
>
> The people looking at the PR were probably people who also wrote or
> maintained the relevant code.  At Microsoft and other large, commercial
> software vendors, the chances of the developer of any code actually looking
> at technical-support issues for that code are almost nil.  Developers are
> kept busy writing code, not supporting it, in part because this is more
> cost-effective, and in part because developers who are forced to document or
> support their code often quit.

I'm curious (and annoyed. Please stop responding to every single email
seperately. It's called a "thread" for a reason. More than one response per email
please.) where you got all of this intimate information on how Microsoft's
ranks work, because frankly it sounds like bullshit. I could be wrong, of
course, but I trust that the many Microsoft parties, and friends I have
working at Microsoft in positions ranging from Technical Support to
Development don't lie to me when we talk shop.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)