Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:56:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        520023893678-0001@t-online.de (Peter Ulrich Kruppa)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade ???

> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:35:54 +0000 (GMT)
> From: 520023893678-0001@t-online.de (Peter Ulrich Kruppa)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Hi,
>
> probably this is a very stupid question and I missed some manual:
>
> I installed portupgrade on my -STABLE and when I type
> # portupgrade
> I get
>
> ** Error occured reading /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:
>         undefined method `+' for nil
>
> What is this? And how do I edit my pkgtools.conf to track -STABLE
> ports?

This is an old one that most everyone using portupgrade hits.

If you have not customized pkgtools.conf, just remove it and:
cp /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf

The problem is that there were changes to portupgrade that required
changes in this file, but since it is designed to contain local
customization, cvsup does not touch it.

If you have made local customizations, just edit the file at about
line 89 to read:

  ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'
  ENV['PACKAGES'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/packages'
  ENV['PKG_PATH'] ||= ENV['PACKAGES'] + '/All'

(I know one of these lines is missing. I just don't remember which
one.)

Then run portupgrade as per the man page. (Typically this means:
portupgrade -Rra
or
portupgrade -Rr PACKAGE_NAME
or (if the port is not installed)
portinstall PACKAGE_NAME

Note that the PACKAGE_NAME does NOT include a version or directory.

Examples:

portupgrade -Rr XFree86-Server open-motif most
portinstall acroread

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)