Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:36:34 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf-build Failing

Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Somehow the variable MACHINE_ARCH is getting set to 'unknown.'
> However, the only place I can find MACHINE_ARCH being set is in
> /usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk, and it is always set to 'i386'.

Not always, only if it is not already defined, but that's probably what
you meant.

> I cannot locate where it might be set 'unknown' or why this is
> happening; it's never happened to me before.

I've seen a bit of stuff related to this recently on one of the FreeBSD
lists I read, though I've never been bitten by it so didn't pay much
attention. All I can think is that maybe MACHINE_ARCH is set to "unknown"
in your environment for one reason or another? Have you tried

# MACHINE_ARCH=$(uname -m) make aout-to-elf-build

?

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and