Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG (Joseph Koshy)
To:        www@freebsd.org
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org
Subject:   Integrating the Handbook/FAQ into the website

FYI,

There has been talk, off and on, of reorganizing the FreeBSD project
website.  I thought I'd let you folks know of an experiment of mine on
this front.

I recently attempted to integrate sets of Docbook (Jade) generated
HTML files with the intent of providing for uniform navigation across
a website.  Jade's HTML output for a "Handbook" and a "FAQ" gets
processed to provide for:

  -  a consistent site-wide look and feel
  -  Yahoo! style "breadcrumbs" (navigation aids) on each page
  -  automatic incorporation into a site-wide sitemap

The results can be viewed at [http://indic-computing.sourceforge.net/].

Website management is being done using HTML::WebMake, with the
Jade/DSSSL generated HTML being transformed into something that
WebMake can process by a Python script.

Points:

  - Some of this stuff could probably be done using DSSSL itself.
    My lack of familiarity with the structure of the DSSSL Modular
    stylesheets led me to an 'external' solution.

  - The basic approach could be adapted to any static website
    generation tool.  `HTML::WebMake' is one such tool, `Wsmake' is
    another.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Koshy