Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:43:45 -0400
From:      Steve Byan <stephen_byan@maxtor.com>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI bad block remapping doesn't work!?#@$

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 12:57  PM, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to be able to make my SCSI disk map bad blocks. Can
> someone
> please look over my shoulder and see what I may be doing wrong? I have
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD ... 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE ... i386
>
> $ camcontrol inquiry da1
> pass1: <COMPAQPC WDE4360 1.52> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> pass1: Serial Number WS7010556513
> pass1: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing
> Enabled

I don't recognize the ID string here. Is this by any chance a Quantum
or Maxtor drive? If so, I will help you get to the bottom of this.

I've forgotten the details, but if I recall correctly, Quantum and
Maxtor drives need to see the hard read error multiple times, with the
block being overwritten each time) before reallocating, since the most
likely cause of hard read errors is a transient write error (off-track
write or high-fly write) rather than a grown media defect. (If you do
get a grown media defect, then it's most likely that there is
particulate contamination in the drive, and it will quickly experience
a cascade of failures.) From your description, it sounds like you have
most likely met the drive's criteria for remapping the block.

If it's not one of ours, I dunno.

Regards,
-Steve

--------