Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:10:27 -0500
From:      "Dennis Mathiasen" <dennisma@adelphia.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Installation issues with 4.6.1 RC2

> > Unable to copy /kernel into place.
> >
> > On VTY2 the following messages is displayed:
> >
> > pid 120 (cp), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
> > Illegal instruction - core dumped
> >
> > Most commands given in the shell on VTY4 (e.g.
> ls, df, mount, ...) show
> > the same error message.
> >
> > I have a strong feeling that this has to do
> with the fact that these
> > systems have an i586 architecture, in contrast
> with the Celeron that has
> > an i686 architecture. But of course it could be
> something completely
> > different...
> >
> > Has anybody else tried the installation on an
> i586 based system ?

Yes, but the problem is also in STABLE.  I did
buildworld on a p3 with CPUTYPE=i586. (removed
/usr/obj/ and did: make cleandir && make clean \
&& make clean)

4.6-RELEASE installed just fine on the 586, but
upgrading to stable via NFS from the p3 system
failed.  I tried re-compiling and installing
cp, install and make directly on the target
system but got the same error.

I'm trying again right now by removing /usr/src
( and /usr/obj/*) entirely.

Dennis Mathiasen
dennisma@adelphia.net