Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:14:10 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1048353251.657da7@mired.org>
To:        David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apsfilter - exasperation - willing to pay

In <20030317120401.A98859@skytrackercanada.com>, David Banning <david@skytracker.ca> typed:
> I cannot for the life of me get aspfilter working.

You might try magicfilter instead of apsfilter. It's not a shell
script, so is less likely to break when the environment changes around
it. However, it does require that you configure /etc/printcap
yourself. Here's a sample entry:

lj|lp|LaserJet 5MP:\
    :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lj/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lj/acct:\
    :if=/usr/opt/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4m-filter:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

If you can't find a magicfilter entry for your printer - which is
likely, as it's old - you'll have to take one for a similar - meaning
handles the same data formats - and modify it slightly. I'll be glad
to help with that as well.

	<mike