Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:24:38 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Hrisikesh sahu <hrisikeshsahu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh installation 9.1

At 08:30 AM 1/23/2013, Polytropon wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:49:13 +0530, Hrisikesh sahu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I am facing a strange issue..
> > I installed 9.1 release and installation went successful
> >  After boot up  i got this error -
> >

> > File system had an unexpected inconsistency.
> > > ufs : /dev/ada0s1d (/var)
> > unknown error ; ! Help
> > Error - Aborting Boot
> >
> > Going to single user mode.
> >
> > #
> >

> > Please help me if i need to do anything else.
>
>It seems that the /var partition has not been unmounted
>properly. Perform a manual file system check and retry.
>
>The command
>
>         # fsck -yf /dev/ada0s1d
>
>should be applied in single user mode, with /var being
>unmounted.
>
>To make sure file systems are clean _prior_ to booting
>the system, put
>
>         background_fsck="NO"
>
>into /etc/rc.conf; this may lead to longer startup times
>when something is "strange" regarding file systems, but
>it will prevent you from booting into a possibly damaged
>environment (which could cause more trouble and maybe even
>data loss, which justifies the longer boot time in my
>opinion).

I setup a number of servers with 9.1 and had the same issue.  I'm not sure
why, all of the installation went with no errors.

I ended up with this in rc.conf:
fsck_y_enable="YES"
background_fsck="NO"
force_fsck="YES"

After a few reboots I was able to take it out.

Also if you have this in /etc/rc.conf:
dumpdev="YES"

It always does a dump even on reboot, which also marks the filesystems as
dirty.

-Derek

believed to be clean.