Date:      	Tue, 23 Jul 96 22:34:42 PDT
From:      byron@netapp.com (Byron Rakitzis)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, jbrann@panix.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk corruption after crash on Toshiba laptop

>It didn't.  You haven't finished the repair:

When I mean fsck failing, I mean having to resort to manual-mode fsck.

Auto-mode fsck corrects the kinds of errors you would expect from a dirty
crash on UFS. As far as I know the manual-mode fixes are fixes to the FS
for things that Can't Happen. That's why I was wondering if the disk-ordering
code was broken.

The thing that caused the crash was running ifconfig on a bad 3c589, causing
the machine to hang.