Date:      11 Jul 2002 10:33:20 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        rsi@panix.com
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Listening to users [was Re: Package system wishlist]

Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com> writes:
> Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:
> > XFree86 -- FreeBSD uses it too, but the linuxen have better
> >   configurators, and possibly better default font setups, these days.
> >   So FreeBSD is actually worse off.
> I don't know if any Linux distribution has a different font setup.

Most of them set up a font server by default, which gives better and
smoother scaling.  On FreeBSD, the font server has to be set up
manually, which requires figuring out the undocumented "magic" font
path (unix/:7100) if you want to use a Unix socket instead of a TCP
socket (recommended for security reasons, though our docs don't tell
you that, just like they don't tell you how to stop X from listening
for TCP connections, or even that it would be a good idea to do so),
then editing /etc/X11/XF86Config and writing a startup script.

Worse, the new "bits-and-pieces" XFree86-4 port does not even install
default configuration files in /etc/X11 any more, so you have to
locate a sample xfs configuration, customize it, and figure out where
to put it (/etc/X11/fs/config).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org