Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tim Stoddard <tims@mercury.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Tim Stoddard wrote:

> I am sending this to you since you seem to be the person that knows the
> most about FBSD on the questions list.  The question list has asked a
> bunch of good questions and I have been reading through them all lately.  I
> have a ppp problem that you will probably know the answer to, so here
> goes.

Well, I certainly don't claim to know everything; I just pick up what
other people have problems with.  :)  As a result I'm cc:ing this to
questions.

> My ppp does work.  Here is a bit of information that may help.  I am using
> the /usr/sbin/ppp -direct to start up my ppp session.  On a web site that
> got posted on the questions list the other day they said to use
> /usr/sbin/pppd -direct.  I figured it was a typo, but I do not know for
> sure.  I may have a problem right there.

Well, you see, there you go:  I've never touched ppp -direct, or pppd
(which is kernel mode ppp).

> I have only two questions.  First the default timeout is set to 180
> seconds of idle time.  I have tried "set timeout 0" in a few of the logical
> places, but I have not had any luck.  What do you suggest.

You're on pppd, then; the default time out on iijppp is 300s.  I can't
help you there.

> Second question.  I would like to use pap for security.  I made a
> pap-secret and a ppp.secret file, but again I have had no luck with
> either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Under iijppp, all you need are:

set authname MyUserName
set authkey  MyPassword
disable chap