Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:14:23 -0500
From:      Mark Johnston <mjohnston@skyweb.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating system help ??!!??

Nigel Taylor <nigelt@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> First run

*First* run mergemaster -p, to update any files required for buildworld
and installworld to succeed.

> *make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL*
>
> if no errors, then run
>
> *cp /kernel /kernel.prev && make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL

The system copies /kernel to /kernel.old by itself, but doing it yourself
certainly doesn't hurt anything.

> *then reboot
>
> If everything is "OK" shutdown and reboot into single user mode

Not everything will always be OK at this point, since your running kernel
and world are (intentionally) out of sync.  It's generally recommended to
go straight to single-user mode after an installkernel, to avoid confusion
in things like ps, top, and ipfw.  Consider booting with IPFW set to
default deny and with ipfw(8) not working - the shrieks of protest from
your daemons would not be pretty.

> mount all the filesystems you need (/usr, /var)
>
> *mount -u  /, /usr, /var*

If your CMOS clock isn't UTC (if /etc/wall_cmos_clock exists), you should
run "adjkerntz -i" in here.  Otherwise, the times on your installed world
could be messed up, and various make breakage could result.  I believe
it's safe to run adjkerntz -i either way, but I'm not positive on that
one.

Also, if you need swap, swapon -a should be run here.

> then run
>
> *make installworld*

Best to do mergemaster before you reboot.

> then reboot an everything should be "OK", then thats your system
> updated, well almost you still have to use mergemaster :)
>
> if you modify your kernel just use
>
> *make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL && **make installkernel
> KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
>
> *If you want i have some shell scripts that do this automatically :)
>
> Nigel Taylor

Just picking a few nits :),

Mark