Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:16:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world clobbers (was Re: some nice advice...)

> > > Any server application, be it sendmail, named, ntpd, apache, squid, etc etc
> > > etc., needs to be compiled fresh from the vendor.
> >
> > That is complete bullshit. By doing this, you are *introducing*
> > problems rather than solving them. The FreeBSD developers spend a lot
> > of effort fixing bugs, plugging security holes, and adapting software
> > to run optimally on FreeBSD. You shouldn't hand-roll things like
> > sendmail or BIND unless you're prepared to spend a *lot* of time
> > duplicating their work, and making sure you got it right and didn't
> > introduce any bugs of your own in the process.
>
> In general I agree about this. However:
>
> BIND 8 works just fine out of the box on FreeBSD. Please check the bind8
> port - it changes a few paths, changes the man format and not much else.

It has been some time since I've seen an application that _didn't_ work
fine out of the box on FreeBSD - things like Sendmail come with option
files that are set up for FreeBSD, and other things just don't care too
much anyways because they aren't tied into the system as deeply as
something like Sendmail.

Additionally, if you want to go head-to-head about things like security
holes, I'll note that _any_ configuration (such as the FreeBSD-supplied
one) which runs sendmail as root is inherently more risky than a config
which runs sendmail as mail:mail.

You'd better make sure that you're introducing fewer bugs than I am and
that yours are less exploitable.  Me, I'm not too worried since I've been
hacking on Sendmail since the '80's and there's not too much risk in a
daemon that runs as an unprivileged user.  But, then again, that all gets
back to what I've been saying all along:  there are good reasons for
treating these things as applications instead as part of the OS.

... Joe