Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:03:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: Help, cannot make HP Vectra XU work

> Try this -- go into the bios, and change the MP Spec version from 1.1 to
> 1.4.

There's no apparent setting for it.  I just tried under BIOS GG.06.07,
which is old (and used to work with FreeBSD 3.0S) and just flashed a
new one (GG.06.13) which was released a month ago, and there's still
no setting for it.

Unfortunately, I didn't boot the machine after adding RAM but before
swapping drives, so I don't really know if this is being caused by the
added RAM or a change in FreeBSD.  I can always pull the RAM (or put in
the old drive) but both require I open that damn box and it's built like
a tank.  Either way, I'm sunk...  I need the RAM and I don't want to
lock myself into using an older version of FreeBSD I won't be able to
upgrade, for obvious reasons.

Maybe I'll go play with the OS Type.  I wonder if OS/2, Win NT, or Win 95
might select it somehow (right now it's set to "Other", and I'd hate to
have to specify a "WinSomething" to make this work, heheheh).  HP's are
strange sometimes.  The damn scrolling config utility gives me a headache.

Thanks for the hints though.

... Joe