Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:30:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, rkw@dataplex.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

 * It *should* come with the sources, as I said, so that the date is valid
 * no matter when the "make world" is done or when the kernel is built.

Yes.  Besides, the kernel build date is already part of "uname -a".

 * This seems to be the hard part.

Well, how about just adding RELDATE for now (while you guys work on
the "automated" solution, that is)?  At least if that value is updated
often enough, we will be able to distinguish between versions with
"major" differences (some library added, "top" added, before or after
3.0-release, etc...).

Satoshi