Date:      Mon,  5 Sep 2005 09:56:15 -0400
From:      jl@burghcom.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: who has experience about updating freebsd from 4.11 to 5.x

Quoting "liguoqiang\(126\)" <liguoqiang_0121@126.com>:

> Hi, all:
> I update my freebsd ver 4.11 by cvsup src-all tree.
> It's successfully as below:
>     make buildworld
>     make buildkernel
>     make installkernel
> But some errors appear when i make installworld:

It has been my experience that updating from one full version to
another (3.x to
4.x, 4.x to 5.x) is better done by doing a clean binary install of the next
version, then import/install software and users on the new system.
I understand that this is not always an option, but I have had less problems
this way than cvsup across full versions.

Jeff Love
Burgh Gaming