Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:36:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:    KYLIX/Delphi compiler under Liunxulation ( WAS: no subject)

So, I'm back with a little more informnations:

:>Well, I'm not expert on this particular subject, but hopefully I can be
:>of some help.
:>
:>"Hartmann, O." wrote:
:>> Our main server architecture here is FreeBSD, but unluckily we need
:>> Linux software because there are no appropriate Fortran F90 compilers
:>> and Delphi compilers for FreeBSD.
:>
:>I thought you were wrong at first, but checking into it shows you are
:>correct. Fortran77 is the latest supported.

Sorry, we need F90 or F95.

:>
:>> I prepared our master server for the installation and mounted the cdrom
:>
:>First off, I wouldn't do anything more with the "master" server till
:>you've got this sorted out. Set up a test server to work out the install
:>unless you're willing to risk the "master" server having major problems!

That is true and I switched to another machine to do the initial tests.

:>
:>> My question is, how to get the lacking runtime images of these programs?
:>> They are not in the linux_base port.
:>
:>Many of these are part of the FreeBSD distribution. You may have to
:>simlink from the FreeBSD locations to the Linux compat directories.

Yes, of course FreeBSD has these commands but a normal "setup with exchanged paths"
does not work, means: first relocated the hierachy of the search path to find Linux
binaries first, then FreeBSD's.

I wrote a simple script called 'linux_me' as suggested from a FreeBSD developer
did Fortran 90 installations in which only pathes get exchanged to find Linux
binaries first. But this method crashes also with the ELF "0" error of an unknown
binary type.

:>
:>> And what is about a complete Linux-Installation in the /compat/linux tree?
:>> Is it possible to install a Linux-basic distribution, like RedHat 7.1 in
:>> the /compat/linux tree and run all Linux software by the FBSD emulation?
:>
:>Not sure, but if you read up on the linuxulator, it actually _is_ a
:>RedHat install.

That is right, it is a RedHat 6.2. But most newer software is RedHat 7.0.

:>
:>> root: /cdrom/borpretest: cd ../
:>> root: /cdrom: ./setup.sh
:>> ./setup.sh: tail: command not found
:>
:>Check the setup.sh script and find out where it's looking for "tail". A
:>symlink may be all that's needed to fix this. Or a change in the PATH
:>environ.

I did, see above, but with no effect. But I suspect a program on the Kylix CD
ROM to be the faulty one:

The script walks throught several steps of checking the environment, then it
fills up a simple environment variable with a suitable setup program and this
is always a choice of two, one for a gtk/xml environment and the other a
normal binary. But this binary is statically linked! using 'file' on it reports
this:

file setup.data/bin/x86/setup
setup.data/bin/x86/setup: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, statically linked, not stripped

I tried to execute this binary within an Linux environment to ensure this gets
not messed up with FreeBSD libs. But the same effect. Then I copied the whole stuff
in a temporarily directory and did a manually brandelf on this - without any effect.

This stupid little binary does not want to be executed!!! Why???

As you can imagine, I exchenged the faulty glibc of the original distribution against
a pathed version from Borland's site or one located on the Kylix CD. I have the choice
between:

glibc-2.1.3-22B.i386.rpm
glibc-2.1.3-22B.src.rpm
glibc-devel-2.1.3-22B.i386.rpm
glibc-profile-2.1.3-22B.i386.rpm
nscd-2.1.3-22B.i386.rpm

I installed  glibc-2.1.3-22B.i386.rpm, not the other ones ...

What the heck is going wrong?

:>
:>> Checking dependencies...
:>> Kernel version >= 2.2.0....OK
:>> Glibc version >= 2.1.2....OK
:>> X11 Server....FAILED
:>
:>Do you have X11 installed? If so, symlinking or PATH modifications may
:>fix this.
:>
:>> grep: /etc/issue: No such file or directory
:>
:>Ooh ... I'm no linux expert, but I think this file should contain kernel
:>version numbers or something. Check with a linux distro to see what's in
:>this file - you may be able to just copy it.
:>
:>> ELF binary type "0" not known.
:>
:>Hmmm ... read the man page for "brandelf", although I don't know what it
:>_should_ be or even what file it's looking for.
:>
:>> The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1
:>
:>Oh ... spoke too soon. That's a little bizaar. You may have to install
:>glibc seperately and let it think it's running under Linux. You may also
:>be able to brand it to make the install work.
:>
:>Hope this was helpful, I know it's not a lot of information.
:>
:>Bill
:>
:>--
:>If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
:>then what can I get for two hands in the bush?
:>

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)