Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:22:20 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Subject:   Re: ndisgen intended to be the only way to generate ndis?

--nextPart1495254.kG6LLdx7ND

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:49, Fabian Keil wrote:
> AFAIK, nobody has announced that the "old" way is death,
> therefore I would like to know if the breakage is intentional
> and if it is, if there's a technical reason why these methods
> can no longer coexists.

The "old way" built the .sys and .inf files into a .ko along with if_ndis=20
code.

In the "new way" you build the .sys and .inf files into a .ko without any=20
other code. When you load it, it pulls in if_ndis which then reads the=20
wrapped .sys and .inf file you loaded.

You can't build things the "old way" any more because the if_ndis code no=20
longer expects to be linked to a .sys file.

I suggest the best approach would be to submit improved documentation for t=
he=20
ndiscvt man page (and a new ndisgen page) along with some handbook changes.=
=20
It would also be fairly trivial to modify ndisgen to take some arguments.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum