Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 12:12:48 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE to 4.0-STABLE upgrade

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:50:05PM -0400, John Daniels wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I just did an upgrade to STABLE.  I just wanted to check what I did was OK.
>
> First, the handbook says to do the following order:
> 1. backup
> 2. CVsup
> 3. check /etc/make.conf and /etc/group
> 4. drop to single-user mode
> 5. remove /usr/obj
> 6. make world (or make buildworld and make installworld)
> 7. update /etc, /dev, (and optionally /stand)
> 8. compile and install a new kernel
> 9. reboot (with fastboot)
>
> ****** WHAT I DID DIFFERENTLY ********
> 1. I used mergemaster for updating /etc.

Good.

> 2. www.freebsddiary.com has description of going from 4.0-RELEASE to STABLE
> and provides a script for doing so.  The description and script shows that
> compiling and installing a new kernel (#8 above) comes *AFTER* make world
> (#6 above) - and *BEFORE* updating /etc.  Thus, according to them, #8 comes
> before #7 in the above list.

Not a big deal.

> 3. Oops!  I removed /usr/obj *AFTER* the make world, not before.  I tried to
> redo make world but after a few messages (which seemed unimportant) it told
> me that the proc tables were full.  I then compiled and installed a new
> kernel without any noticeable problems.

If you'd never made world before, there probably was nothing in
/usr/obj to delete before you got started.

> 4. NOTE: For me, /etc/make.conf has only one line: "USA_RESIDENT=YES".
> Apparantly /etc/defaults/make.conf is what needs to be edited (after being
> copied to /etc.)  Since I had not figured this out beforehand, I was unable
> to uncomment out CFLAGS and NOPROFILE as instructed in the Handbook.

Do NOT edit /etc/defaults/make.conf. Instead, put entries like,

  CFLAGS=-O -pipe
  NOPROFILE=true

In /etc/make.conf.

> I have booted into, and am writing to you from, STABLE.  Whatever I may have
> done wrong, so far I have not seen any (noticeable) problems.
>
> QUESTION:
> Will my system be OK?  Will any of the above cause any problems (especially
> removing /usr/obj before making and installing the kernel)

If you made the kernel after _installing_ the world (after a 'make
world' or 'make installworld'), the presence of /usr/obj makes no
difference.

> FOLLOWUP:
> Now that I have gone through the process of upgrading, I am looking into
> security.  What is the easiest, most obvious (as in "duh!, why didn't you
> ...") steps to take to guard security.  My setup is very simple: my home PC
> connected to a router with DSL service.  I am the only user.
>
> I would like to use this machine as a web server and mail server, but I
> don't have anyone ftp-ing in (but I need to ftp out to retrieve files from
> time to time), logging in remotely, telnet-ing in, etc.  Do I just modify
> inet.conf and/or hosts.allow to deny those services?  How difficult is it to
> add a firewall like IPfilter?

See,

  http://www.freebsd.org/security.html

For some starting links. First thing, disable (comment out) any
services, like the ones you mention, from inetd.conf. Then send inetd
a SIGHUP to re-read the file. Use hosts.allow for restricitng services
to certain hosts, but if you are not using a service at all, best to
turn it off completely. As for firewalls, setting up the machine to do
firewalling is quite easy... figuring out how to make a useful ruleset
is non-trivial.