Date:      Sun, 10 May 2015 06:41:38 +0200
From:      "Mark Schouten" <mark@tuxis.nl>
To:        Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frequent hickups on the networking layer

Hi,

Yes, it did. I see no mbuf errors anymore, no Ethernet errors. Ctld does not=
 crash anymore, it kept running after lowering the mtu to 1500.

I am using vlans and the weirdest thing when lowering the mtu was that every=
thing went crazy when I only lowered the mtu for the vlan interface. Ctld wo=
uld not start completely, pings started taking several hundred milliseconds.=
 It just wouldn't work anymore. Only when I lowered all interfaces to 1500, s=
tuff was ok and has been since.

I do see a lot of jumbo page allocations during backups at night, which migh=
t be nfsd or ctld, but it's not causing any issues.

I've learned, for now: FreeBSD and jumbo frames is a no-go.=20

Hope it helps for you too.

Regards,

--=20
Mark Schouten
Tuxis Internet Engineering
mark@tuxis.nl / 0318 200208

> On 10 May 2015, at 02:17, "Christopher Forgeron" <csforgeron@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
>=20
> Mark, did switching to a MTU of 1500 ever help?
>=20
> I'm currently reliving a problem with this - I'm down to a MTU of 4000, bu=
t I still see jumbo pages being allocated - I believe it's my iSCSI setup (u=
sing 4k block size, which means the packet is bigger than 4k), but I'm not s=
ure where it's all coming from yet.
>=20
> I'm on 10.1 RELEASE fyi.=20
>=20
> I'm going to patch my network devs to not use MJUM9BYTES and see if that h=
as an effect.
>=20
> For me, the problem all started again once I really started putting storag=
e load on the FreeBSD machines. At times, I'm seeing 7 Gbits on the 10 Gbit a=
dapters.=20
>=20
> Oh, and there are gremlins in the new ctld / iscsi as well. I'll get into t=
hat later, but if a heavily loaded iscsi target goes down, when it reboots, t=
he reconnect storm from all the iscsi machines kernel panics the FreeBSD isc=
si target host.  My machine looped through three boot-start-panic loops befo=
re I caught it and put it into single-user mode. Starting ctld manually seem=
s to make everything okay.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Mark Schouten <mark@tuxis.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> On 04/29/2015 04:06 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>>=20
>>> If you're using one of the drivers that has this problem, then yes,
>>> keeping your layer-2 MTU/MRU below 4096 will probably cause it to use
>>> 4k (page-sized) clusters instead, which are perfectly safe.
>>>=20
>>> As a side note, at least on the hardware I have to support, Infiniband
>>> is limited to 4k MTU -- so I have one "jumbo" network with 4k frames
>>> (that's bridged to IB) and one with 9k frames (that everything else
>>> uses).
>>=20
>> So I was thinking, a customer of mine runs mostly the same setup, and has=
 no issues at all. The only difference, MTU of 1500 vs MTU of 9000.
>>=20
>> I also created a graph in munin, graphing the number of mbuf_jumbo reques=
ts and failures. I find that when lots of writes occur to the iscsi-layer, t=
he number of failed requests grow, and so so the number of errors on the eth=
ernet interface. See attached images. My customer is also not suffering from=
 crashing ctld-daemons, which crashes every other minute in my setup.