Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:54:06 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   [hubs] cvsup-master changes

--l84S9eCTKdPXj7o1r63FkQEL2LOb4etSs

In order to tidy up some no-longer-needed complexity with cvsup-master I'=
ve
done a final rebuild of the infrastructure supporting it.  It's now a sel=
contained slave of other public data.

There's a couple of visible effects with this.
- Latency is actually a little better for some collections, but worse for=

others.
- The source for the www mirror data is now the same rsync pool that is
used on www.freebsd.org.  The old cvsup data was being gathered from an
obsolete machine that was only doing a partial build - large chunks were =
1+
years stale.
- Timestamps on a number of files changed and that's caused a lot of
internal one-time Rsync fixups. cvsup/cvsupd doesn't seem to deal with th=
is
very gracefully.
- I purged the 1-2 year stale ports and doc trees.  I'll upload tarballs =
of
the final versions of each onto ftp shortly.

As a reminder, 9.2, 10.x and HEAD are NOT in cvs. 8-stable, 9-stable are
still being periodically updated but there's no more _RELEASE tags after =
9.1.

After looking at the machine's logs, I'm wondering how much this stuff is=

being used by end users relative to the number of mirrors still in
operation.  I suspect it is really difficult to tell the difference betwe=
en
somebody who's actually using the code from cvsup vs somebody who set up =
mirror years ago and forgot about it.

There's a public cvsup machine in the cluster (cvsup14.nyi) that appears =
be desperately bored lately.  It implements 12 of the cvsupN aliases and
seems to be doing about 50 client connections per hour.  Is this comparab=
le
with what other folks are seeing?

I don't have enough history in its logs, but I'm guessing there was a
fairly big dropoff once ports stopped being in cvs and when we fully
switched to svn based releases.

I'd appreciate it if folks could turn a critical eye towards their cvsup
mirror logs and see if they can get a feel for how much this is still bei=
ng
used.  If it is the time to consolidate, we have plenty of headroom.
--=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6F=
JV
UTF-8: for when a ' just won\342\200\231t do.