Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:45:27 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
Cc:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem endian converter?

Apparently, On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:49:52AM -0500,
	Chris BeHanna said words to the effect of;

>     Are there any tools to convert a filesystem created on a
> little-endian machine for use on a big-endian machine, or vice-versa?

Ian Dowse (iedowse@freebsd.org) wrote a program to do this on a file backed
memory file system.  I don't know how well it would work on a large filesystem
or in place on disk though.

>     Can FreeBSD/sparc64 mount Solaris 8 UFS partitions, even if only
> in read-only mode?

This should work, at least it used to, but you have to be really careful
about fscking solaris filesystem with freebsd fsck and vice versa.  Read
only is the only thing that's really safe.

>     (For that matter, anyone know if FreeBSD/x86 can mount Solaris 8
> x86 UFS partitions, even if only in read-only mode?  I'm trying to
> help out a co-worker whose Solaris 8 x86 box crashed.  His new machine
> is going to be FreeBSD 4.7, but he has two disks full of data to
> recover.)

Don't know.  Since freebsd/sparc64 can (or could) read big endian solaris
filesystems, I don't see why not.

Jake