Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:27:22 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
Subject:   Re: intel driver

Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just gotten a new laptop (Dell Latitude) E6410with an Intel Ironlake
>> graphics chip. I've tried running it with FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE, xorg-server
>> 1.7.5,1 and the intel 2.9.1 driver. This results in X giving me a black
>> screen; Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't kill it, but I can reset with Ctrl-Alt-
>> Delete.
>>
>> I've added my xorg.conf and an Xorg.0.log to this mail; I hope this can help
>> you improve the Intel driver. If you need me to send more information or test
>> out anything, please don't hesitate to let me know!
>>
>> (the dmesg:)
>> vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0x70b0-0x70b7 mem
>> 0x90000000-0x903fffff,0x80000000-0x8fffffff irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
>> acpi_video0: <ACPI video extension> on vgapci0
>> agp0: <Intel Ironlake (M) SVGA controller> on vgapci0
>> agp0: detected 32764k stolen memory
>> agp0: aperture size is 256M
>>
>> (pciconf -lv:)
>> vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x040a1028 chip=0x00468086
>> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>>    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>    class      = display
>>    subclass   = VGA
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>>  Jaap Boender
>>

> Log didn't make it through - are you sure that this isn't a success?
> The default Xorg behaviour with startx now is simply to display a
> black screen, and zap (ctrl+alt+bksp) has also been disabled by
> default.
>
> Try this:
>
> Xorg -config /path/to/xorg.conf.new -retro
>
> Does this look a little more like it?

I was hoping that the 2.9.1 driver would work on the Ironlakes without
drm support, but I've had multiple failure reports.  A lot of work is
required to try and de-linuxify and get newer drivers working.  (Read
GEM and KMS kernel support)  I don't have an Ironlake to test with which
complicates matters even further, on top of my current time constraints.
    It is quite possible that the current failure is something simple,
but I really can't say for sure at the moment.

robert.