Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Clement Laforet <sheep.killer@cultdeadsheep.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange ATA behavior with -STABLE

    There still appear to be serious issues with ATA, mostly with CDROM
    drives.

    Soren is currently on vacation for 2 weeks (this from an email he sent
    to the list on 22 June), so we all need to have a little patience.
    He should be getting back pretty soon now.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Hi guys :)
:
:I "recently" upgraded one of my server from 4.5 (RELENG_4_5) to stable (RELENG_4) on the 4th july (nearly 9am CEST).
:And I noticed few hours ago, a little difference with the ata drivers.
:I know they have changed but there is something which "disturbs" me.
:Here a piece of log I have when "ATA failled". I don't know why. Disks seems to be ok, maybe the heat ;)
:so...
:
:Jul  4 09:00:40 goofy /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:Jul  4 09:00:40 goofy /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
:Jul  4 09:00:50 goofy /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:Jul  4 09:01:10 goofy last message repeated 2 times
:Jul  4 09:01:10 goofy /kernel: ata0-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=00 e=00
:Jul  4 09:01:10 goofy /kernel: ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
:Jul  4 09:01:20 goofy /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:
:After this, the system was still up, even if I was unable to access ad0 and ad2, processes "simply became dead".
:(system an 'sensible data' are on SCSI disks)
:Without happiness, I deal with this ;)
:This was before I upgrade ;)
:
:I thought (bad ?) that upgrading to newer version of ata driver, allows me to reset ata buses, and repair this "on the fly".
:I was wrong !
:Now my FreeBSD system freezes.
:The last console info is (like):
:ad2: read command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:ata-1 resetting
:*FREEZE*
:and then hard reboot
:Nothing in syslog :)
:
:And now the question :o)
:Before considering what that happened (four times in 8hours today), I would like to know how I can trace this (kernel options, soft, daemon).
:Or maybe I've done a bad things ;)
:
:here's my uname -a :
:FreeBSD goofy.cultdeadsheep.org 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Thu Jul  4 10:05:12 CEST 2002     root@goofy.cultdeadsheep.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GOOFY  i386
:
:here's my ata (standard) kernel conf :
:
:device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
:device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
:device          ata
:device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
:device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
:#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
:#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
:options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
:
:
:Thanks a lot in advanced, and I hope this "report" could be useful ;)
:
:clem
:
:PS: like other french people, sorry for my english ;) and sorry to post if I've done something bad ;)
:
: