Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:38:20 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apm vs apmconf

In message <199806140535.WAA03391@antipodes.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
: Hmm.  Ultimately (but not now I think) we should abstract stuff away
: from APM towards more general "power policy" (as you described
: elsewhere).  With ACPI now appearing in hardware, we'll be faced with
: more complex and abstract decisions.

I kinda like this idea, but I'm not sure the kernel is the right place
for this.  I'd love to see an ACPI driver and modifications to the APM
driver such that either one can attach to the "power manager device"
interface, much like many different sound cards can attach to the
"sound card device" currently (although maybe using a different
mechanism).  I'd like to see how the new bus stuff pans out before
trying to design something like this.  And I'd need a laptop that
groks ACPI before I can even think about working on this....

: IMHO, there should only be one "apm" tool; there is no clear division
: of labour between the two, and I'm not at all sure there should be.

OK.  I'll add them to apm (which is easy for me right now since I
already have done that).

: machdep.wall.cmos.clock will tell you if the CMOS clock is "wall" or
: "GMT" time.

That is good to know.

: Bring them in as soon as you think they're ready.  A series of
: staggered commits is easier to back forwards/back through.

OK.  I'll commit them as time permits.

: BTW, have you tried the VM86 connect code I committed?

I think so.  The work I've done is with the latest APM stuff, and it
appears to have changed in the last week or so because I got merge
errors when I did a cvs update...  They were minor and easy to fix, so
I think I'm using your stuff.

Warner