Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 11:45:59 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de>, julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > >What am I going to need to do in order to get to use the drive?  I
> > >really would rather use it on a -STABLE system even if I then apply
> > >a patch to that (potentially rendering it less stable)
> >
> > I'm beginning to get sick of this.  I did port the the LBA code from
> > -current to -stable, it works for me since weeks, and it works for
> > several other people.  I see no reason to not put that into -stable,
> > and I'd really like to see that.  2.2.6-RELEASE is what people new
> > to FreeBSD are installing, and it should support current hardware, if
> > feasible.  Supporting large IDE drives is feasible, so why not commit
> > it?
>
> Erhm, this is not in the 2.2-stable charter folks, the patches that
> should go into 2.2-stable should only be bugfixes etc, the next thing
> is that somebody wants the SMP code into 2.2-stable...
> There has to be a line drawn somewhere....

	New features are ported to -Stable all the time. The only requirement
I've seen for that is that those features must be, you guessed it,
stable. :) I have learned that things like > 8 character usernames or
SMP can't be ported to -Stable because they involve architectural
changes. However something like this (or CAM for that matter, which is
already being tested with plans to commit it to -Stable) should make it
in. Think about it. If new features were never added to -Stable we'd
still be on the 2.1 branch.

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet